Call for Applications: TransPositions Summer School 2017: “Sensible Objects, Material Engagement, Skilled Expertise” (Zeist, 21-25 August; Deadline 22 February 2017)
Applications are requested for the TransPositions Summer School 2017: Sensible Objects, Material Engagement, Skilled Expertise, to be held from Monday 21 August through Friday 25 August 2017 in the Woudschoten Hotel & Conference Centre near Utrecht, The Netherlands.
This edition of the TransPositions Summer School focusses on material culture and the senses. How can we investigate sensory experiences of past material cultures or cultures that are not our own? And how can we reconstruct in our studies the experiential richness of ephemera and material practices “lost in transmission” or only preserved in textual sources? The summer school approaches these questions across different disciplines including art history, archaeology, anthropology, conservation, musicology, performance and media studies, cognitive science, and religion- and science studies.
We invite doctoral and postdoctoral researchers from the humanities, the social sciences, and related disciplines with a strong interest in material culture and sensory experiences to apply via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Invited keynote speakers (confirmed)
- Ulinka Rublack (Faculty of History, Cambridge University)
- Lambros Malafouris (Kebble College and Institute of Archaeology, Oxford University)
- Rachel Prentice (Dept. of Science and Technology Studies, Cornell University)
- Shigehisa Kuriyama (Dept. of East Asian Languages and Civilizations, Harvard University)
We would be most grateful if you could circulate the attached CfA among your contacts.
Dates and venue
- August 21-25, 2017, Woudschoten Hotel & Conference Centre near Utrecht, The Netherlands
- Application deadline: 22 February 2017
the ERC ARTECHNE project and the Department of History and Art History, Utrecht University, The Netherlands.