These pages offer biographical information relevant to the history of science in the Netherlands.
We currently offer biographical information from the following resources:
- KNAW Past Members: information on past members of the Royal Dutch Academy of Arts and Sciences (1851/55-present) and its predecessor, the Royal Institute (1808-1851).
- KNAW Officials since 1855.
- Biographies from “A History of Science in The Netherlands” (Brill): an encyclopedic survey of the historiy of the sciences in The Netherlands published in 1999, by Klaas van Berkel, Albert van Helden and Lodewijk Palm
- The Biographical Dictionary of Dutch Mathematicians (BWNW), edited by Gerard Alberts, Alex van den Brandhof, Gertjan Klijn and Teun Koetsier.
- Biography and bibliography of Dutch humanists, edited by Jan Bloemendal and Chris Heesakkers.
- Clusius Online: an online presentation of the correspondence and network of the famous sixteenth century naturalist Carolus Clusius.
- Christiaan Huygensweb: contains a lot of information on what is probably the most famous Dutch scholar.
- Biographical databases: overview of online biographical databases.